Historic Preservation in St. Augustine

Florida created the St. Augustine Historical Restoration and Preservation Commission in 1959. The Commission was authorized “to acquire, restore, preserve, maintain, reconstruct, reproduce, and operate... [St. Augustine’s] historical and antiquarian sites.” In 1968 the Commission became the Historic St. Augustine Preservation Board. For close to thirty years, the Board championed preservation efforts and directed numerous celebrations, exhibitions and other activities intended to promote education and awareness. The State abolished the Board in 1997, and the City of St. Augustine assumed control of historic properties including Government House. In 2010 the State once again took over stewardship of the historic properties, and designated the University of Florida to manage the properties. UF Historic St. Augustine, Inc. was formed in that same year to oversee and develop support for the properties.


Curated by Matt Armstrong, Tom Caswell, Jim Cusick, and John Nemmers
Designed by Lourdes Santamaría-Wheeler